Friday, November 14, 2008

Perspective

I used to think that I was an old mom with young kids. Jan 7th will be our 20th anniversary. Many of our friends from LA who were married around the same time as us have older kids. I mean kids in high school or even college. My oldest is 11. Now granted we did try for 9 years to have a baby. But it is still strange to think that I could have a 19 year old (if I had taken after my mom...LOL) Anyway, after we moved to TN we learned that many of the people here were our age and had kids the same age as ours. We weren't so old after all. Then in the past few months I have reconnected with a few of my good friends from high school. Both of them married "late" and they have VERY young kids. They both have a 3 year old and a baby.

Sometimes I think about what it would have been like if we did have teens. But then again I shudder and thank God that my kids are still little. I don't know if I am ready to handle teenagers yet... although I don't have much time to get ready.

God knew what was best in my life. He had a plan that He wanted to see accomplished. I praise Him everyday for my kids. They are what I hoped and prayed for. J and I have years together that those same friends tell me they wish they had. We had so much time to establish our relationship and I am grateful for that.

These are just my thoughts.

R

3 comments:

Josh Selley said...

Awesome perspective. That's sorta like my folks having me.

Unknown said...

Cherish those moments, girl.

Stephanie said...

I totally agree! I just had my first baby at 35 and although I'm somewhat "behind," I don't regret it!