Thursday, May 25, 2017

Vintage Quilt Tops

I don't think that I ever posted about a stack of quilt tops that I found at Goodwill.

It was after Christmas and I was wondering Goodwill looking for clothes to use for fabric in quilts.  I always look by the linens because sometimes they have good quilt fabric. I didn't see anything.  So, I walked around the rest of the store and looked toward the linens again....and a lady was hanging up a bunch of quilt tops!!!  I made my way there and there were 8 unfinished tops.  Some were actually summer tops with the edges sewn under but no backing or batting.  I grabbed them all.. Lydia was with me and we checked out.

When we got home we started laying them out so that I could photograph them. They were all hand pieced!!  I was floored!  Who gives these to Goodwill?? Many were scrappy and my favorite and of course, Lydia picked out her favorite and I had mine.



A good friend of mine told me that her sister was a quilt appraiser and wanted to see pictures.  She estimated them to be from mid last century to 20 years old.  I plan on quilting them and ,of course, giving Lydia her favorite.  Since going to the same Goodwill, I have found several pieces of 5-8 yards of fabric and another unfinished  piece about the size of a table runner that looks like it was pieced by the same quilter.  All by hand.











This is my favorite


This is Lydia's Favorite

















1 comment:

The Fish Family said...

That is amazing! What a find!!!